In 2023 to be a great leader, you must lead with purpose. As the competition for talent intensifies, leaders need to differentiate themselves from the pack. We want to help you by giving you 5 ways to elevate your DEI goals this year.
Start with having a healthy workspace. Long gone are the days of a single DEI training to raise awareness and be done with inclusion for the year. The old model didn’t work because it had no purpose or accountability. Today, we need to use data, which allows us to create impactful strategies that get results. The good news is that there are many ways to do this.
Here are 5 ways to elevate your DEI goals.
- Start with an audit of your existing policies and practices. This can be done through a DEI consultant or software. But the best way would be to get people on the team involved. Most importantly, set some measurable goals on where to improve and where.
- Look at the demographics of your staff and leadership team. Does the team reflect those of your community and clients? If not, how can you help bring more diversity into your organization? The best way is to diversify your recruiting and hiring process.
- Are there any policies in place that may be discriminatory or biased against certain groups (i.e., age restrictions for people who will be considered for a task or observances of only some holidays). If so, be sure to revise your handbook!
- Continue building a culture of inclusion by creating an environment where people can speak freely about differences in race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and sexual orientation without fear of retribution or retaliation. If you don’t feel comfortable with open conversations, get a outside consultant to come in and survey the team.
- Consider how you onboard new people and clients. Are there any gaps in knowledge or understanding that may lead to discriminatory behaviors? Evaluate the language you use throughout your organization, as well as on social media and in marketing materials. Is it inclusive? If not, how can you change it?
Building a healthy environment takes work. It also sometimes involves awkward conversations or tough self reflections. Also, there isn’t just one right way to do things. The important thing is that you’re taking steps in the right direction.
If you feel like you are struggling with any of this work, know that we are always here to support you. Just comment below and we can talk through it.